business writing proposals How and What is it In 2021
Most customers will not make up their minds whether to use your services after only one meeting. Many will prefer to have something in writing to read and think about before getting back to you.Proposals take many shapes and forms, but you won’t go far wrong if you remember to include.
business writing proposals 2021
Most customers will not make up their minds whether to use your services after only one meeting. Many will prefer to have something in writing to read and think about before getting back to you.
Proposals take many shapes and forms, but you won’t go far wrong if you remember to include at least the following:
- Executive summary - a brief overview of the entire proposal on no more than two pages.
- Customer situation, aims and objectives
- repeating back to the customer a brief summary of why they met with you and what they said they needed.
- Proposed method - a step-by-step description of what you are proposing to do for the customer. This should also mention the timescales that you can work to. For example, can you deliver with one week or two months of notice?
- Investment/costs for this piece of work - including a clear outline of exactly what is included or excluded for the price that you are quoting.
- References - or testimonials or case studies if you think they are relevant.
Some sales people also like to include a few paragraphs on the history of their company or perhaps their qualifications.
- Appendices - but only if necessary. If you are selling a specialist service, you might want to put all of the technical detail in here.*
You will also need a covering letter along with the proposal. A couple of useful phrases to pop into your letter include:
- It was good to meet you the other day. Thank you for the opportunity to talk about how we could work together.
- Please do get in touch if you have any questions or comments.
- Once you have had the time to read and digest the information in this proposal, I’ll give you a call in a week or so to discuss how we can best take this forward.
The last phrase gives yourself listen to get in touch with the customer, rather than waiting by the telephone for them to find the time to call. But just make sure that you do follow the proposal up with a call!